Friday, May 31, 2013

Capresse Salad

Heat wave in the North East this week and this blogger is not enjoying it!! I like my Spring and Summer months but when the temperature is heating the mid 90s before June and the humidity is high, the last thing I want to do is be over a hot stove top or a grill. Here is my favorite dinner to make when it's too hot to cook but I still want to get the best flavors of the season. A Capresses Salad is simple, delicious, and healthy and requires no cooking! Just lay some fresh mozzarella, freshly sliced tomatoes, and fresh basil with a little drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and you're set! Slice up some good crusty Italian bread and pour a nice glass of wine to go with it and this is the perfect dinner to beat the heat with. Of course it goes great with any movie too!!

1 fresh Mozzarella ball
2 fresh and ripe tomatoes
15-20 fresh basil leaves
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Salt and pepper
Italian Bread (Optional)

Easy, easy, easy recipe!!! It's hardly a recipe at all!! Slice the tomato as thin or as thick as you'd like. I like to season my tomatoes with salt and pepper. Slice of your fresh mozzarella ball into slice, be sure it's fresh and not the low moisture mozzarella that comes in a block. Tear a few basil leaves up and line the three on a platter neatly. Dress the trio with some extra virgin olive oil and a bit of balsamic vinegar.


14 comments:

  1. Great idea for a light dinner in this hot weather! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My ALL TIME FAVORITE!!!!! I wish I could eat it everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on that!! So simple and delicious it should be illegal ha ha

      Delete
  3. I'm always searching for light dinner ideas for the summer! Please share more!!!

    We love simple and elegant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More on the way! This is by far my favorite though!!

      Delete
  4. If you can get your hands on some, use Buffalo Mozzarella for an authentic Italian salad! Absolutely delicious!

    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep my eye out for that for sure!! Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  5. You forgot the star of the show....FRESH GARLIC!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never added fresh garlic to mine. It's a very strong flavor and I like to let the freshness of the tomatoes and basil be the star of the show.

      Delete
    2. Garlic?? No thanks

      Delete