Friday, October 12, 2012

"Miz on what????"

Mise en place, pronounced "Miz on Plas", is a traditional french cooking term which means "Putting in place". To put more directly, it means get all your ingredients near to your cooking station so they are prepped and ready to use when you need them.

I can thank celebrity Chef Anne Burrell for teaching me this trick on her Food Network Show, "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef".

How many times have you been reading through a recipe as your cooking and then come to a road block because you can't find the ingredient you need next. Been there done that!! One time I was making beef bourguignon and went to deglaze my pan after I sauteed the bacon with some cognac. Well I couldn't find the cognac and by the time I did - guess what? Yup, charred bacon. Luckily it was the first step to the dish so I didn't loose much time or any ingredients other than a few slices of bacon.

Getting everything out in front of you, chopped, pealed, and washed before you start cooking will make the process quicker and simpler.

2 comments:

  1. Do you use the little glass bowls to hold your ingredients, like I see so often on cooking shows?

    If so, where did you get your glass bowls? What size?

    If not, what are your thoughts regarding why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use them but you can buy them in department or kitchen stores. You mainly see them used on cooking shows because most of that stuff is prepped well before they actually film the shows. You can use them at home if you like but there really is no need. Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete