Monday, April 29, 2013

Michelle Pfeiffer

Born on April 29, 1958 Michelle Pfeiffer is one of the most beautiful and talented actresses to ever grace the movie screen. Michelle's versatility as an actress seems limitless as she's portrayed characters ranging from a mobster's wife in "Scarface", to a masked villain on the roof tops of Gotham in "Batman Returns", to an evil witch seeking a way to eternal youth in "Stardust."

Born in Santa Anna California, Michelle was a fan of films from a very early age saying that she would stay up very late as a young girl watching black and white movies. After taking a drama and theater classes during her high school tenure, Michelle realized that acting was truly her calling. Her first major break through role was starring in "Grease 2" and she's been one of motion pictures most recognized and loved actresses ever since. Michelle Pfeiffer is one of, if not my very favorite, actresses and her performances completely change the films she's in. Even if the movie she's in doesn't appeal to me on any other level, I usually can't help but watch it simply to observe her performance.

My favorite film featuring Miss Pfeiffer is a toss up between "The Fabulous Baker Boys" and "Batman Returns" with "What Lies Beneath" close behind them.The character of Susie Diamond is one of my favorite characters in any film. Not only did Michelle play her character with humor and heart, Michelle's beautiful voice is reason enough alone to love the character and the film. A sentimental favorite of mine is Michelle's timeless performance as Catwoman/Selena Kyle in Tim Burton's "Batman Returns." Anything Batman was my favorite as a young boy and I loved everything about this film. Michelle became one of my favorite actresses as a young movie fan simply because she was the lady who played Catwoman. In all seriousness however, she did an amazing job with the role perfectly bringing out her character's sexy, seductive, psychotic ways. How about you guys, what is your favorite Michelle Pfeiffer movie?

There is a wonderful interview on YouTube with Michelle from James Lipton's show Inside the Actors Studio. Lipton and Michelle talk about her early years, her personal life, and of course all of her iconic and memorable movie rolls and how she came to play them. It runs about forty minutes long but it's a real treat to watch or just listen too, clicking here will take you to that segment. With a film called "Malavita" co-staring Robert De Niro and Tommy Lee Jones set to be released later this year, I can't wait to see Michelle's performance in the film and, hopefully, many more to come.

4 comments:

  1. Toss up -- Scarface and I Am Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of those two I'd say Scarface. Its so great to hear her talk about that role in the interview I added to today's post.

      Thanks for commenting!!

      Delete
  2. You definitely have good taste, your article is awesome. Michelle Pfeiffer will forever by my favourite actress. I cannot fathom ever loving another actress more than her.
    My top 5 favourite Pfeiffer performances are:
    1. Fabulous Baker Boys (no surprise here)
    2. Batman Returns (very close 2nd)
    3. Married to the Mob (she is an underrated comedienne)
    4. Frankie and Johnny (I know many were angry when she was cast, but I thought she gave a very touching performance)
    5. Age of Innocence (lovely understated performance)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment on my post! She really is a superb actress and I still can't believe she hasn't won an Academy Award for at least one of her very fine performance.

      I agree with you list!! I too loved her in Frankie and Johnny and can't imagine another actress taking that role. I also happen to really love her in Stardust - a very underrated film on all accounts.

      Thanks again for commenting!

      Delete