Friday, April 12, 2013

Good Vanilla makes all the difference!!

We've all heard the expression, "You get what you pay for" and that stands so true when you talk about Vanilla extract. Just about all of your cookie, cake, custard, icing, and other recipes for sweet treats call for Vanilla extract. To be quite honest, when I bake it's really the only ingredient I don't measure to the exact degree - a little extra splash never hurt anything!!

Since vanilla is such a key ingredient in our freshly baked sweet treats, it's really important to use a good quality vanilla. The first thing to look for is does the bottle say "Pure" or "Imitation". The imitation I'm sad to say would be better suited to be poured right down the kitchen sink. It contains artificial flavorings and chemicals to try and recreate the taste of vanilla but fails to do so and it even will leave a very bitter taste.

Always buy pure vanilla extract and if you bake a lot like I do, it's best to spend the extra couple of dollars and get the best quality one you can afford within you budget (Remember a bottle will last you a couple months or longer depending on how much you bake). When you switch from using a low grade vanilla to a high quality one, you'll really be able to tell the difference. Most notably in freshly made whipped cream. Since all whipped cream contain is heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla - the vanilla will be the key flavoring that your pallet will pick up. If you really want to taste the difference for yourself, make a small amount of whipped cream with imitation vanilla and a small amount with pure. Warning though, you'll be hooked on the good stuff!!

And before I hit the little orange "Publish" button I wanted to share something with you all. A few of you have already commented on this but Wednesday I appeared on a local television show called "PA Live". It was a wonderful experience and one I really enjoyed. I have to thank hosts Brittany Sweeney and Eric Petersen for being so awesome and really making me feel calm and comfortable during my time on air.Here is the link that will take you to my segment in the kitchen with Eric, and to all my local readers be sure to tune in Monday through Friday on WBRE to watch more of this great program. I hope to have the opportunity to cook in the PA live kitchen again someday!

8 comments:

  1. Great advice! I always regret when I go cheap!

    Saw the your segment on PA Live! Excellent work!

    I think you have a real talent regarding food: blogging about it, making it, and sharing your expertise with others.

    You should start "packaging" some of this talent and sell it. It seems so natural for you as a livelihood! A calling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and your vote of confidence! Making this my livelihood is my ultimate goal!

      Delete
  2. You're spot on - high quality vanilla makes a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly does doesn't it?? I myself was shocked the first time I really tasted the difference.

      Delete
  3. I use alot of Almond and Orange extracts in my cookies. I buy the McCormick stuff. Are there better options?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McCormick is better than some of the other common brands available but I like to use Nielsen-Massey brand whenever possible and I highly recommend that brand to you as well. I tend to go the fresh route when I want to add citrus flavor to my baking by using the fresh juice and the zest.

      Delete
  4. Excellent segment on PA LIVE. You are a real pro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much!! I was so nervous before hand but it was actually really fun once we got started.

      Delete