Friday, February 8, 2013

Selecting Wine

Quite a few of my recipes call for some type of wine and it's one of my favorite ingredients to cook with. When selecting a wine to cook with, always select one that you'd like to drink. I always use to hear, "oh that wine is no good to drink but we'll use it for cooking." When you cook with wine, the alcohol will burn off but the flavor will concentrate into the dish so you'd never want to use one that you wouldn't enjoy drinking.

My go to wine for a red is a Cabernet Sauvignon and for a white I like to use a Pino Grigo. In most cases, it's best to cook with dry wine for a savory dish so you'll want to avoid using anything sweet.

4 comments:

  1. What is your favorite locale for a good Cabernet Sauvignon or Pino Grigo?

    I'm curious as not all wines are grown in the same conditions or manners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest I don't really have one. Though I cook with wine often, I'm far from a wine expert. I usually look for whats on sale to be honest. I believe Most wines I normally buy come from either the Napa valley or regions in France.

      Delete
  2. How do you know when to use red or white wine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally, you pair a white wine with - seafood, poultry, pork, white sauces, and cheeses.

      I usually pair a red wine with Beef, tomato based sauces, and lamb.

      Delete