Monday, February 25, 2013

Oscar's 2013

It's the morning after and the prized golden statues have all been handed out. What did you all think of this years award show? Seth Macfarlane drew a few laughs from me but I think he fell short and I wouldn't give his hosting performance a high mark in my book. The theme of the Oscar was music in movies but other than hearing some famous movie scores before commercial breaks, as the presenters walked onto the stage, and of course the famous them from "Jaws" being played to cut some of the winner's speeches short - I didn't really feel that theme present itself. The tribute to 50 years of James Bond wasn't quite what I was expecting either. The Oscar's usually entertain me from the host's opening monologue right until the final award is given but I have to say this year I kept on saying to myself, "Hurry up and give out the awards already!"

All in all I think I did pretty well with my predictions I made her last Monday - 4 out of 6 is too bad right? To be honest Steven Spielberg not winning best director was sort of a surprise for me, despite making my pick completely on my admiration for him and how I feel he's the greatest director in film. No doubt Ang Lee created a wonderfully looking film with "Life of Pi" but it was a movie largely compiled of Computer generated images which the academy often frowns upon saying something like, "they aren't really a "Directors" kind of film". "Life Of Pi" does look like a visual master piece and Lee was truly humbled and honored to take home the Oscar.

No doubt though the biggest surprise for me was Jennifer Lawrence taking home Best Actress for her role in "The Silver Linings Playbook". Again, not to discredit her work at all but I was very confident that Jessica Chastain's work in "Zero Dark Thirty" was enough to grab her best actress. That being said, if Chastain's name wasn't meant to be hidden underneath the seal of that envelope I was happy to hear Jennifer Lawrence's name called out and to see the pure shock of winning on her face was really great.

As for the rest of the big winners like Anne Hathaway, Christoph Waltz, and Daniel Day Lewis - I can't say enough how happy I was to see them get their awards. Funny thing was, last night when Waltz's name was called out for best supporting actor I was happy just to know I'd officially get one of my predictions I made correct. However, all three actors gave amazing performances and Daniel Day Lewis is now the first actor to ever receive three Oscar awards all for playing a leading role in a motion picture. "Argo" taking home best picture was no surprise to most either and since Ben Affleck Affleck wasn't even nominated as best director for the film, I was happy to see him get his moment on stage with another Oscar in hand.

With this year's awards in the books, now we can look forward to all the films we'll see in 2013 and await to see which movies will be nominated next year. So again I'm curious, what did you all think of the show? Happy with the winners? Any big surprises for you? 


4 comments:

  1. Jennifer Lawrence is just 22 years old. I think the award should have been presented to someone with more experience. Ms. Lawrence's body of work is not that impressive. In my opnion her performance in this movie was good, however I do not believe it was award winning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I thought Jessica Chastain's performance was more worthy of the Oscar, Jennifer Lawrence still did an amazing job herself. An actor's previous work isn't really a factor when it comes to deciding who the winner should be as it's based on the performance of the nominated performance alone.

      Delete
  2. In my opionion Seth MacFarlane did a poor job. Too much singing and dancing. At one point I forgot I was watching the Oscars and thought I was watching some poorly directed variety show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. The show is suppose to be about recognizing the great films of the past year and the artist who brought them too us. I so love the way you described last nights show as a poor directed variety show because that's exactly what it felt like.

      Delete