Friday, January 11, 2013

The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from my Frontier by Ree Drummond

One of my Christmas gifts I received this year was Ree Drummond's cookbook, The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from my Frontier. Ree might be better known as The Pioneer Woman from her wildly Successful blog and her popular TV show on the FoodNetwork, both by the same name. Ree's cooking style is rustic and delicious and this book is filled with great recipes for cooks of all skill levels.

Ree's book has something for everyone but if you're a beginner cook in particular, let me tell you this cookbook will be perfect for you. Ree has kept the flow of her cookbook much like she's done her blog, step by step pictures to go along with the instructions so you can see what things should look like as you cook. Being a very talented photographer, Mrs. Dummond took all the pictures in her book ,with the exception of the cover and title page, herself. It's filled with photographs from her family's ranch in Oklahoma, her family and friends, and of course her delicious food!

While I haven't had time to make many of Ree's recipes yet, I did make her Coffee cream cake this past weekend. Not only was it fantastic but it was a really simple recipe to execute. Moist coffee flavored cake with a sweet cream cheese filling and then covered in coffee flavor icing - it was a really delicious cake from first bite to the last little crumb left on my plate.

To wrap up this cookbook recommendation I have to add that every recipe in this book is one I can picture myself making at home. I really think all of you will enjoy reading The Pioneer Woman's cookbook as much as I am. Don't forget to keep an eye out for her cooking show on the FoodNetwork as well and you can always check out her blog Thepioneerwoman.com! Have a great weekend everyone!

14 comments:

  1. Trickster! I saw the picture of the cake and thought...what is the recipe!

    I hope you tell us the story of that cake in the near future.

    Great cookbook review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Won't be giving the recipe for the cake on the blog since it's not my recipe. You'll have to check out Ree's book to get this and all of her delicious recipes.

      Delete
    2. Curious. How do you make a recipe yours?

      Delete
    3. Most of my recipes have been created on a whim. I go to the market, see what looks fresh, and judging on what flavors go well together I create a recipe. Some of my recipes might be based off another recipe I see on tv or read in a book but I'll change ingredients and flavors to adjust them to my liking and alter the recipe enough where I can call it my own.

      Delete
  2. Suggestion. If you think appropriate, perhaps you could put a list of topics on your sidebar for easy referral.

    ie: movie reviews, recipe reviews, cookbook reviews, and cooking tips.

    I like to browse and use your information often. Selfish request, perhaps.

    Excellent work, regardless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a selfish request at all, will work on bringing this to the blog. Thank you for the suggestion!

      Delete
  3. I'm new. What cookbooks have you reviewed to date?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also reviewed Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa at Home

      Delete
    2. What cookbooks do you plan to review this year?

      Delete
    3. I can't say which ones I will review for sure. If it seems like you (the readers) enjoy them I will be more inclined to post a cookbook review on Fridays.

      Delete
  4. I love that Pioneer Lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is great isn't she? I love watching her show and reading her blog!

      Delete
  5. You sure sold that cookbook!! What an amazing cake!

    ReplyDelete