Monday, July 8, 2013

Top 5 - Tom Hanks Movies

Tom Hanks is easily one of the most recognized, popular, versatile, and talented actors to ever shine on movie screens across the globe. From his comedic performances in films like Splash and Turner & Hooch to the dramatic in The Green Mile and Philadelphia, Hanks has delivered unforgettable performances time and time again. Tom Hanks is easily my favorite actor and I've enjoyed his work for as long as I've been watching movies. In celebration of Tom Hanks' birthday on July 9th, I'm sharing with you my top 5 favorite movies he's been in. Feel free to comment on my list and share your favorite Tom Hanks flicks! With that being said, time to start off with my countdown.

#5 - You've got Mail - You've got Mail just beats out Sleepless in Seattle on my top 5 list. While sleepless may be a bit more romantic, what makes You've got mail superior in my eyes is the one screen chemistry Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan share. While they both star in Sleepless in Seattle, other than a few moments in the middle of the film and in the end scene, we never see the two together. In You've got Mail we get to see both Joe Fox (Hanks) and Kathleen Kelly (Ryan) on screen together throughout much of the film. Whether as rival book store owners in person or in love with each other online, unknown to either one, the two actors feed of each other and give wonderful performances. It's the time they share together in their scenes and chemistry between them that make this the stronger movie out of the two.

#4 - Big - Some can say this is where Tom Hanks really began to hit his stride and become the actor we know and love. Earning his first academy award nomination, in Big Tom plays 12 year old Josh Baskin who, after making a wish at a magic wish machine, wakes up in an adult body. Tom Hanks perfectly portrays the theme of a boy trapped in a mans body and gives one of his best comedic performances in the film still to this day. No doubt this was a complex character to portray and few actors would have been able to make it believable as Hanks did. Without a doubt, the films iconic scene where Tom Hanks and Robert Loggia play Heart and Soul using the floor keyboard is one that will stand the sands of time.

#3 - A league of Their Own - As far as Tom Hanks' comedic roles, his portrayal of the character Jimmy Dugan is my favorite. With his classic one liner "There's no crying in baseball!" and my favorite scene when he chucks a baseball glove at the one players annoying son, Hanks stole the show from a very talented cast. He showed both the emotions of a broken man knowing he'd never again be what he once was and that turning point where Jimmy finally saw the task he was given still had meaning.This was one movie I really never wanted to see end and even though the film was perfect as stand alone flick, I always wished we could have had a sequel to explore one more season with the gang.

#2 - Saving Private Ryan - Turning the spectrum on the types of roles Mr. Hanks is capable of playing, Saving Private Ryan is about as powerful of a movie and performance as you can find. Hanks plays Captain Miller, a husband and an English teacher ripped away from his quiet life to fight in World War II. The strength of Hanks performance for me once again comes to him being such an emotional actor. There are moments in the film where you are almost able to put yourself in his muddy boots walking through Europe knowing that at any moment it could be the end. Watching Saving Private Ryan and Hanks performance is the closest thing I will ever come to being a solider and feeling the unbearable and undesirable feelings those men felt during the war. Hanks was nominated for an Oscar for this role and I'd still like to know why his name was not called out the night of the awards that year. Golden Statue in his hand or not that night, Tom Hanks and his performance as Captain Miller will be respected for ages.

#1 - Forest Gump - When I began thinking about this list, my obvious number one was Forest Gump. Probably Tom Hanks most recognized and memorable role, the loveable character of Forest Gump brought him his second Academy Award. The beauty of Hanks performance as Forest was the combination of all his talents as an actor. As the good hearted but low I.Q Gump, Hanks brought tears to our eyes one minute and had us laughing the next. His timeless tale from childhood to adulthood, venturing through some of history's most memorable events is pure movie gold. The reason Tom Hanks role in Forest Gump finds it's way to the top of my list is actually something I can't describe. I'm sure most, if not all, of you have seen the film and you probably know what I mean when I say that. As Gump, Hanks evokes every bit of emotion he can into the character so much to the point where he feels real to the audience. To put it more directly, everything about his role as Forest Gump sums up why the world loves Movies.

Well there is my list and with so many amazing movies it wasn't easy to put together. When it comes to Tom Hanks movies, it's like a box of chocolates - they're all a bit different but they're equally enjoyable!

11 comments:

  1. What a brilliant career the man has had. I loved him in The Road to Perdition. And you cannot forget to mention the Bonfire of the Vanities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't agree with you more. He's given so many great performances it was difficult to come up with just 5 of my favorite. You can't forget the his voice acting in the Toy Story series either!!

      Delete
  2. Luv Tom Hanks!!

    He's not aging well though! :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's such a great actor!!

      I think Tom looks good for his age. Especially compared to many other big named Hollywood stars!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed him in A League of Their Own

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Char!! I think it's his best comedic performance.

      Delete
  4. Run Forest Run!

    Simply the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is!! There was no way that couldn't be my number one!

      Delete
  5. "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gunna get."

    Love that movie!! You have a great list!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much!! Can't wait to see upcoming movies from Tom Hanks!! Have you seen the movie trailer for Captain Phillips?? Looks like it's going to be a great one!

      Delete
  6. Yes I have, and it looks real intense! Looks like another great Hanks movie for sure!!

    ReplyDelete