Friday, March 8, 2013

Oven Roasted Carrots



I've always loved raw carrots but there was something about a steamed or a blanch carrot with butter that made me despise them!! It wasn't until I was taught about the wonders of oven roasted vegetables that I looked forward to eating cooked carrots. When you roast them in a very hot oven, the natural sugars in the carrots caramelize and they get such a sweet and delicious flavor. I'm confident after over roasting these carrots you'll never steam them again.

12 carrots
1 tablespoon of softened butter
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon of Kosher salt 
½ teaspoon of black pepper 
½ teaspoon of dried thyme

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Peel the carrots and cut them diagonally in about 1 inch slices. If some of the carrot slices are larger than others, slice them in half so they're all similar in size. In a large mixing bowl. toss the sliced carrots with the softened butter and the olive oil until coated. Add the salt, pepper, and the dried thyme and toss once again to coat all of the carrot slices with the seasonings.

Transfer the carrots to a sheet pan and place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. The carrots will be tender and crisp on the outside. Transfer to serving dish and serve hot. A perfect, easy, healthy, and delicious side dish for any meal.

9 comments:

  1. I can taste them from here!

    Curious, what did you serve them with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most recently I had them with an eye round roast but they're great with roasted chicken or a pork roast as well.

      Delete
  2. Have you ever roated a medley of root vegetables at the same time?

    What were they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have. I can't exactly remember the combination I used but carrots, potatoes, and parsnips were a part of the mixture.

      Delete
  3. I've followed all of your postings for food. Looks like you use a number of pots, pans, cookware, etc. during your prep and serving.

    What is your philosophy toward cleanup?

    I'm trying to use and require an absolute minimum of cleanup when I cook.

    Your thoughts please...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being such a loyal follower.

      I clean up as I go. If something has to simmer or bake for 15 to 20 minutes, that's the perfect time to wash the dishes I've used so far.

      Delete
  4. I always make copper penny carrots. They are delightful but you need alot of ingredients.

    I will try these soon! We love carrots in our house. Even more now in the winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are copper penny carrots?

      Delete
    2. I've never had or made copper penny carrots.

      Hope you and your family enjoy this recipe.

      Delete