Friday, November 2, 2012

Twice Baked Yam Casserole

Hi all, and happy Friday to you. I first would like to send my apologies to anyone who stopped by Wednesday expecting to see my usual dinner and a movie post. The affects of hurricane Sandy reached all the way out here in North Eastern Pennsylvania and I was without power for a couple days. I would also like to take this time to send my thoughts out to any of you or your family members who were caught in the storms path.


Autumn may not officially end until late December, but as far as I’m concerned once all the leaves have fallen the season has ended for another year. It’s hard to believe but Thanksgiving is less than three weeks away!! Christmas and the rest of the holidays will be sneaking right up on us as well. For the month of November and December, as my Friday food posts I’m going to share with you some of my favorite side dishes and deserts to go with any holiday meal. We’re going to start with one of my new favorites, Twice Baked Yam Casserole.
 
Serves 12 (I usually use do 1 large yam per two people so adjust the recipe to however many you are serving)

6 large yams
6 tablespoons of butter
6 tablespoons of brown sugar
6 tablespoons of heavy cream
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
1 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
1 bag mini marshmallows - If you have large marshmallows already at home just cut them into small pieces.

Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees and wash the yams thoroughly. Take a fork or a sharp knife and carefully poke a few wholes into the yams. This will help them bake faster and will allow the steam to escape. Line a baking tray with tin foil and place the yams on top. Bake the yams for about one hour or until they are very tender when your piece them with a fork. The timing all depends on the actual size of the yam. Remove from the oven and allow the yams to cool slightly.

Once you can handle the yams, remove their skins and place them in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter, brown sugar, heavy cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Use a hand mixer or potato masher to whip all the ingredients together. Season to taste.

Spread the whipped yams into a lightly greased 9x12 baking dish (Smaller or larger depending on how much you’re making.) Sprinkle the chopped nuts over top and then add the mini marshmallows. I add just enough so that the top is almost covered but you can still see the yams underneath it. Place the baking dish back into the oven and lower the heat to 350. Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the marshmallows are golden brown.

11 comments:

  1. Are there any substitions available to make this a low fat dish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could cut back some of the fat by trying some low-fat milk instead of heavy cream or by using margarine instead of butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy!!! I'm making this for Turkey day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great!! Hope you enjoy it as much as my family and I do :)

      Delete
  4. Glad you and your got your power and lives back after the storm!

    Thanks for the good thougths to the survivors as they try to get their lives back in order.

    Be well. Be Kind. Thanks for the good energy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the comment! I hope the storm didn't cause any difficulty for you or your friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A thought: Come up with some FAST, SIMPLE, EZ, ways to prepare and supply basic meals for those in need.

    And then take them to those in need...

    That's what I'm working on. Care to join me?

    Be Kind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I use canned yams to eliminate the first step?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you can, although I've never used them. The first step is rather simple so unless it's a time issue I'd really suggest using fresh.

      If you try it with canned yams comment back! I'd love to know how it works out for you.

      Delete
  8. My mother used to make a similar casserole but she used maple syrup instead of brown sugar!! Just use a quarter cup of maple syrup instead of brown sugar. I also like to use lightly toasted pecans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tip on the maple syrup!! Pecans would be great on top as well! I usually put walnuts on mine but didn't have any the day I made this ha-ha. Thanks for your comment!!

      Delete